Thursday, March 20th

I have taught my children that they should never call someone a fool.  This isn't a matter of calling someone foolish.  That's different.  Acting foolish simply means acting without a sense of judgement or discretion.  Quite frankly, we all behave foolishly sometimes!  But, that's not what I mean.  

Perhaps you've heard me tell one of the teen boys, "You don't call someone a fool".  I want you to understand the "why" behind that teaching.


 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.  
Matthew 5:21-22

I've heard people call others, "You old fool!"  Scripturally, I think we ought to abstain from calling anyone that for a simple reason:  the Bible tells us not to.

Today's devotion isn't deep.  I just wanted you to have the Scriptural reason for prohibiting calling each other a fool.   

Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 20
Matthew 5

No comments:

Post a Comment