Thursday, March 27th

I talked about this verse with my children today at Bible this morning.  

 The full soul loatheth an honeycomb; but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.  
Proverbs 27:7

It seems pretty self-explanatory, and at face value, it is.  But, to make a spiritual application I want to use an example.  If I had spent all day eating potato chips, chocolate, and ice-cream, I'd be more than full by the evening.  What if one day after pigging out all day someone stopped by the house and said, "Mrs. Kim, we'd love to take you out right now to Chipotle's (my favorite).  While I may go along, but I certainly wouldn't enjoy the food very much because I would already be full.  It doesn't matter that the food I ate was nutritionless and full of preservatives, I still wouldn't be hungry---even for my favorite food.  In the same way, if I spend my time with spiritually-nutritionless habits and do not feed myself sustaining spiritual food (the Word of God), then come Sunday morning, I am full already and do not desire "a good meal" at God's house.  Why?  Because I've feasted through the week on a spiritual diet of little Bible reading and even less prayer.  So, even though I'm full, I'm not full with the right kind of spiritual nourishment.  And, when it's time for the Holy Spirit to speak to my heart, He can't because I'm already full.

What about you?  Are you so full of the wrong things that come Sunday you have no room for spiritual food?


Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 27
Matthew 12

No comments:

Post a Comment