Tuesday, December 10th

After hearing the song "The Greatest Christmas Tree", I've never looked at another Christmas tree in the same way.  I love the lights at Christmas...the tinsel...the beautifully-wrapped gifts.  I love everything about the holiday.  But, in the quiet of the night, with only a shadowy glimmer from the flickering of the Christmas tree lights, it's not the glitz and shine that completely dominate my thoughts. 

It never really occurred to me that Christ died on a tree.  I mean, I knew the Cross wasn't made with pretty, smooth wood.  Likely it was formed by two rough, splintered beams--definitely not like the decorative ones we see now.  But, somehow, it never really "clicked" that those two beams were made from a tree---a tree created by the One Who would hang thereon.  There were no pretty string of lights; simply the naked, torn body of the Lamb of God---the Light of the World---decorated the tree at Calvary.

Tonight, when all is quiet and dark in your home, turn on your tree for just a few minutes and watch the lights.  Just as those lights bring illumination to a darkened room, Jesus, the Light of the World, brings illumination to our hearts and minds.  Thank God that the Light of the World decorated the greatest Christmas tree---the Cross of Calvary---just for you, dear girls.  Just for me.

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 10
Galatians 4

1 comment:

  1. It is so neat that even amidst the secularism that Christmas is wrapped up in, we can still see examples of Christ and His glory in so many things!

    ReplyDelete