Monday, April 7th

Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.  I Thessalonians 5:14
Girls, this verse speaks volumes about our Christian walk.  In one short sentence, we are admonished to speak plainly with those who act like heathens, to be compassionate toward the hurting, to give of ourselves to those who have no strength of their own, and to be longsuffering.  The last part of the verse, to be patient toward all men, is what I'd like for you to consider today.
Being patient means to bear trials calmly, even when it's a strain to do so.  Patience also means that you make conscious decisions to NOT be hasty in either decisions or actions.  When we say "patience" we assume we know what it means.  But, being patient has so many facets, and yet, patience is something the Lord expects of His children. 
We've heard children who want what they want when they want it.  Some of my own kids were more impatient than others.  I think of Drew's example.  One day he wanted a cookie, and he sweetly asked for it.  I was caught up with something and kept saying, "Just a minute, baby.  I'll get it."  But, the more I put it off, the worse his impatience became.  He was little, not even 3-years-old at the time.  And, I will admit, he had the normal level of patience of a child that age.  After asking for at least 5 times and being told to hold on, he finally said one long sentence, "Iwannacookieiwannacookieiwannacookieiwannacookie...."  It definitely got my attention because I was laughing!  But, I think that's how we are with God sometimes. 
Think of someone to whom you've not been very patient this week.  Perhaps it's your mom who didn't realize you were having an off day and her chatter caused you to speak too sharply.  Maybe your sister who didn't put your straightening iron away after using it (AGAIN!).  A friend, a church member, the lady at the bank...is there anybody that the Lord brings to your mind that you you've wounded by not being as patient as you could have been?
What a thrill...God's mercy is so good and flowing.  All we need do is whisper an "I'm sorry" to our kind, loving Savior and all is well.  Thank you, Lord Jesus, for You are the perfect example of patience.  Help us to be more like You.
Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 7
Matthew 22

No comments:

Post a Comment