Saturday, April 19th

That John the Baptist was an amazing servant of God can not be disputed.  He lived a life that most of us would call weird and fanatical.  And, although John was firm in his faith, he had times of doubt.  John the Baptist---the forerunner of Christ---had days of doubt.  And, Jesus sent words of comfort to John to reassure him that his faith was well-grounded; that He was the One for Whom John had spent his whole life preparing.  But....today's devotion isn't about John.  It's about Herod's stepdaughter described  in today's chapter, Mark 6.

And when the daughter of the said Herodias came in, and danced, and pleased Herod and them that sat with him, the king said unto the damsel, Ask of me whatsoever thou wilt, and I will give it thee.   And he sware unto her, Whatsoever thou shalt ask of me, I will give it thee, unto the half of my kingdom.  And she went forth, and said unto her mother, What shall I ask? And she said, The head of John the Baptist.  And she came in straightway with haste unto the king, and asked, saying, I will that thou give me by and by in a charger the head of John the Baptist.

When both of these women stand before the Lord to give an account for the murder of John the Baptist, who do you think will be held accountable---the daughter or her mother?  Both, actually.  This is a classic example of a young lady who made a decision on her own to do wrong.  She could have declined her mother's request.  Mrs. Kim, I thought I was always supposed to obey my parents?! It is right to honor your parents, girls.  But, it is never right to do wrong.  I don't believe any of your parents would ever advise you to do anything remotely close to what this girl's mother advised her to do; but, if they did, would you be bound to obey that?

Remember these verses: 

Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. Acts 5:29

"...let God be true, but every man a liar..." Romans 3:4

Your obedience to the Lord must be your guide.  I have found that when I obey the Lord with the right spirit, He works everything out with all the other relationships.  

Scripture Reading for the Day:
Mark 6
Proverbs 19

1 comment:

  1. This was a great lesson! I pray that God will help me to always obey Him!

    ReplyDelete