Monday, March 31st

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.   Matthew 15:11

The Jewish nation is a very disciplined, moral people.  Even their food is carefully chosen based on the law given to the Hebrew nation.  My maternal grandparents weren't Jewish, but they were very strict in their diet,  just like the Jewish.  My mom was never allowed to eat bacon or catfish or ham.  That was considered forbidden in her home, and they didn't eat it.  The dietary restrictions in her home weren't for health's sake, but rather to keep with the teachings of the Seventh Day Adventists.  

There's something to be said, of course, for choosing to eat wisely.  Certainly eating a lot of fatty meat like bacon and ham could be detrimental to one's health.  If I'm given a choice, my own diet doesn't include a lot of pork because I've found that it bothers my stomach.  I choose not to eat it but my family doesn't share that same issue with their digestion, and they do eat ham and bacon.  I do not refuse it because I think it will harm me spiritually.  The Bible tells us that, 



"...every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:" 
 I Timothy 4:4


What you put into your mouth shouldn't be the focus of your spirituality; what comes out of your mouth should be.  It is the evidence of what is within.  Harsh words, cursing, gossip, complaining, and bitterness are what defiles or makes you unclean.  


Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 31
Matthew 16

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post! A true Christian is true not only on the inside but also the outside as well.

    ReplyDelete