Friday, February 14th

Girls, you know life is full of disillusion and disappointment, isn't it?  I know it might seem silly to some, but yesterday was a really disappointing day for the Stockton ladies.  After a long wait, Mia, the girls' little Pygmy goat, finally went into labor.  We were all so excited!  The girls had thought of names for the new baby goat(s) and were giddy with excitement as they ran inside to tell me the news.  It wasn't long though until I realized Mia was in trouble and wouldn't be able to deliver without some intervention.  Their anxious screams of delight turned into horrible cries of fear.  Our focus changed from naming little baby goats to saving  the mother goat's life. The baby goat did not make it, but Mia survived.  I am sure my sweet girls learned very valuable life lessons today, but I am certain I learned more than they.

I was so discouraged and re-lived those awful moments of panic all afternoon.  I played the scenario over and over again in my mind.  "If only I had....what if I had...." I thought to myself.  It wasn't until late evening when I was racing to get the rest of the 4H entries to the office on time that I realized a few very important things.  And, the very precious thing is that my little girls are the ones the Lord used to remind me of His goodness.  

I was crying, and Kinley was trying to reassure me that I did everything I could.  After pausing for a few minutes, she looked at me and said, "Mommy, don't you think that it's really crazy that Bella had a kid and we didn't even know she was pregnant, but Mia's baby died and she was the one we were really waiting for.  Do you think God let us have Bella's baby to comfort us?"  Boom.  Like an avalanche it hit me.  Even in something as trivial, as crazy as a little farm  goat, the Lord cared.  It didn't take away our disappointment, but it absolutely shed a totally different light on the circumstances.

That "wrong goat" turned out to be the right one, didn't it, girls?  Or, at least the goat that God used to remind my girls and me that He truly does care about the tiny details of our lives.

Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 14
I John 3

3 comments:

  1. Such an excellent example for us. God really does care about the smallest details of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is amazing how God always provides even in the smallest areas of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never ceases to amaze how God can care of even the things that seem so little to others but are so big to us!

    ReplyDelete