Tuesday, February 18th

The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear? 
Proverbs 18:14

Girls, words are weapons and I hope you never forget the power you hold in your tongue. Physical wounds heal, sometimes with scarring; emotional wounds take much longer to heal and are far harder to nurse.  In fact, the only healing for a wounded spirit is The Lord Jesus.  Only He can reach inside our beings and mend brokenness.  But, when the Scripture refers to the Lord as the Great Physician, it isn't referring to just His physical healing power, although that power is all-encompassing.  Jesus can heal our hearts, girls.  Some of you have been hurt; I've talked in depth with some of you who have struggled with scars left from your past.  Having a wounded spirit not only affects you, dear girls, but those who are precious to you.  

Have you been on the receiving end of being hurt?  I'm sure, because all of us have to some degree.  But, what about on the other side?  Have you ever been the one to wound someone else?  That question, too, is likely to be a yes because we've all spoken carelessly or frivolously.  But, it needs to be a conscious decision daily to ask the Lord Jesus to guide our tongues and help us use our words to heal, not hurt.  It's not always on-purpose that our words or our tones hurt others, but we have to learn to be more aware of some of the things that can REALLY stay with a person.  I remember when I was around 8-years-old having a best girlfriend named Jennifer.  She was my bosom buddy, and we were inseparable.  Jennifer had a problem with scoliosis (curving of the spine) and she was bowlegged.  One day she hopped off the bus and was walking up her driveway.  I raised up to the window and yelled out, "Hey, Jenny, keep trying to walk straighter!  You are getting better!"  She was my best friend and I was so little, I wasn't trying to hurt her.   I had no idea that my words would have the crushing effect that they did.   She was hurt deeply because not only had I embarrassed her in front of a whole bus load of people, but I took very lightly something that bothered her greatly.

Be careful, girls.  Choose your words wisely because once they're out there, it's not possible to retract them.

Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 18
II John 1

3 comments:

  1. Words are a very powerful weapon that can hurt someone emotionally, which can be worse than physically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and when we have been hurt by people, it is easy to tell ourselves that it's ok to lash out at someone with our words, because "it's not like I'm doing what that person did to me". But nothing could be farther from the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words really do hurt. There are things said to me that can't be taken back, and I have said many things I wish I could take back.

    ReplyDelete