Saturday, February 15th

Glorifying God in the Little Things

“All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient:
all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.” ~ 1 Corinthians 10:23

Before I share what God has shown me with this principle, let’s make sure we know what “lawful,” “expedient,” and “edify” mean.

-
Lawful: allowed, permissible
-
Expedient: suitable for achieving a particular end in a given circumstance
-
Edify: build, establish, enlighten, uplift, in a way that improves the mind or character

I’d like to explain this verse with an example from my own life.  One of the “not expedient” things God spoke to me about was a music group I loved to listen to.  Have you ever heard of Celtic Woman?  I LOVED Celtic Woman.  Their voices are amazing, their hearts shine right through in their performances, and the musical team backing them up is just incredible.  Plus, they sing hymns with some regularity – so for a long time I was one of their biggest fans :)  Within the past few years, though, the LORD showed me something; although their music is wholesome, their clothing choice is not.  The Celtic Woman ladies wear extremely beautiful dresses, but their dresses are also extremely revealing.  Sure, their revealing clothing doesn’t cause me to sin (you would need to be worried about me if it did!!) – but, God showed me that it DOES desensitize me to things that are not best in God’s eyes.  So, even though I did not want to, and would have much rather kept listening to Celtic Woman, I chose to stop.  I chose to cut off this “not expedient” thing from my life, so that there would be no way Satan could desensitize me through it.

Although things we do might not be wrong, they might not be the best.  Listening to Celtic Woman’s music is not a sin; but was it helping me grow in my love for God?  That is what is best.  Do we want to give God the basics, or do we want to give Him our best?

Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 15
I John 3

2 comments:

  1. We have all become so desensitized to so many things in this world. Giving God the basics, or giving God the best was a very thought provoking statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think especially in our generation most young teens condition themselves to their surroundings and the things of the world don't seem to bother them. It is the little things as well as big things we need to honor God with!

    ReplyDelete