Friday, February 7th

And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.  I Peter 4:8

We learned some time back that the Bible word for love is charity, and that is what today's verse talks about.  The word fervent means fiery or excited, and Christians are to have that kind of passionate love one to another.  I don't mean a romantic love but a selfless, brotherly-sisterly type of love.  We are to love deeply and show that love in active, visual ways.  Most of you, Beautiful Girls, are passionate about life in general, and it is evident in the way you play sports!  Loving passionately means that you are willing to take risks.  I don't mean foolish risks---like allowing yourself to get involved with someone who doesn't love your God or share your values.  That's more than foolish---it's plain dumb.  But, the risk I am talking about involves ministering to others and loving passionately when those same people will not return that love or appreciate the sacrifices of ministry.  

This type of love does not come naturally, girls.  It's a love that must be practiced and a fire that must be stoked.  With Valentine's Day right around the corner, everyone's mind is on love---but not necessarily love that is Christ-honoring.   The last part of today's verse says something else about this fervent, passionate love called charity.  The Bible tells us that this type of love covers a multitude of sins.  I truly don't believe the Lord is teaching us to cover up someone's wrongdoing; that won't help them, and it won't help us, either.  But, when the Scripture tells us that charity covers sin, I believe it to mean that when we love deeply and passionately, we will be willing to look over others' slight faults.  

Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 7
I Peter 4

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful for the love shown towards me by the members of our church, and i also love the members of my church so much!

    ReplyDelete