Monday, February 10th

Valentine's Day is this week, and everyone's mind is on love.  It is a wonderful time of celebration for couples.  I've always loved the holiday just because it brings such sweet feeling of romantic love.  This week doesn't stir up those feelings for everyone though; in fact, my mama used to hate Valentine's Day.  It served as a reminder of an unfaithful husband and always left her longing for love from him.  I can imagine it's that way for many people.  But, perhaps those affected most might be teenage girls.  I understand, sweet girls, that you look around and see all the other girls wrapped up in their boyfriends and getting candy and chocolates.  It makes it really tempting to play into that boyfriend/girlfriend mindset, doesn't it?  But, my dear ones, what you can't see are the countless hundreds, thousands of young ladies who will someday remember this Valentine's Day with regret.  Why?  Because for a box of chocolates or some cheap jewelry, they gave away a piece of themselves that they can never get back.  I don't believe any of you girls are in that situation tonight, so please don't think I'm referring to anyone in our group.  I'm not.  I just understand that when you look around and see the fun boyfriends and girlfriends seem to be having, it's so very hard to keep the commitment of saving your heart and your body for the one God will bring in His timing.  If you could look ahead ten years up the road, what would you see in the lives of the ones so wholly given to "dating somebody"?  From experience, I can tell you that you will see ladies who have slowly given small portions of their hearts along their path to various young men.  And, with each broken "relationship", each heartbreak, a little bit of their ability to trust is destroyed.  


And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole. Luke 17:19


Don't buy into the lie that you have to be in a "relationship" to fit into today's society.  You don't.  Guard your heart, dear ones; it is a precious gift to your future husband.

Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 10
II Peter 2

4 comments:

  1. Wow. This didn't just hit the nail on the head… it banged and pounded on that nail head. I have a lot of friends at school, very caught up in dating and their boyfriends, and I get a lot of pressure to participate as well. I try to have them to understand that I just don't want to date any boy; but the one that God would have me to date. This was soo encouraging because this is a tiring battle to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post could not have been better written - totally agreed, Carrie! :) This is a post that is worth printing out and keeping somewhere handy as a reminder for those days that you feel like you're the only one in the world who doesn't have a boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. This was a much needed post! Because of the Heart day coming up I have been very discouraged seeing all my other friends with a boyfriend. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relationships are so common among teens that we all tend wish for that boyfriend. But this post was so encouraging because boyfriends are definitely not necessary right now.

    ReplyDelete