Friday, February 21st

Girls, have you ever heard the word "brawling"?  What about "contentious"?  Today's verses cover both of these words, and since The Lord speaks so strongly about women who practice brawling and being contentious, we'd do well to understand what the words mean.

Brawling: Fighting or quarreling done in a loud manner.
Contentious: Having a tendency to causing disagreements and quarrels.

I am sure that I don't want to be characterized by either of these words, but some women are. 

 It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house.  Proverbs 21:9

It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman.  
Proverbs 21:19

The Lord tells us that it is better for a man to sleep in a tiny corner on the rooftop or even out in the woods than with a woman who likes to fight and argue.  And, sometimes women can be just that: argumentative and whiny.  I believe I've shared in the blog that I was very quarrelsome when Pastor and I first married.  He was painfully shy; I was uninhibited and outgoing.  I mistook his quiet nature for grouchyness.  And, just to get him to talk to me, I'd pick a fight.  It was a crazy way to live, and so far from what God wants for His daughters, but it was an environment I created on my own by being a nag.

Some girls are naturally given to always causing an uproar.   They love being the center of attention, even if that means negative attention.  You know in your heart if you are a nag; and  you know whether you cause problems or if you help fix them.  

Just a word of advice: no man wants to marry a girl who whines, murmurs, complains, and picks fights.  If you are struggling with having either a brawling or a contentious spirit, now is the time to deal with that.  Don't wait until your husband is so tired of hearing you fuss and complain that he'd rather sleep in the trees with the birds. 


Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 21
Revelation 1

2 comments:

  1. Characteristics I should work on not having now so that they wont be a problem when I marry.

    ReplyDelete