Thursday, January 23rd

With some of the thoughtless, inconsiderate remarks I've heard some make lately, it's been on my heart that our Christian ladies are sorely missing discretion.  Just what is "discretion"?  It is defined as the quality of being careful about what you do and say so that people will not be embarrassed or offended.  How often do we speak carelessly without regard to others' feelings or the emotional trauma that our words inflict.  It takes continual practice to learn sensitivity, but it is a quality the Lord esteems highly.  


As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion. Proverbs 11:22

There are some things that should never be said; and, there are things that should be said in a different tone or manner.  It takes discretion to know the difference.  For example, you should never tell an expecting woman that she looks huge.  Why?  Because it is insensitive to the emotions of a woman who is very well-aware of her changing body.  She doesn't need you to tell her how much weight she's gained.  Another example of indiscretion might be to accentuate a negative situation.  Perhaps someone has made a terrible mistake either in action or deed; indiscretion would call attention to the shortcoming while discretion might be more likely to say something like, "Hey, listen, don't be so hard on yourself.  We all make mistakes, and I've made that same one myself before."  Perhaps remembering this verse might help:


 He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.  

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 23
Hebrews 7

2 comments:

  1. I have seen in some of my friends ( not from church) how they are totally without discretions and so painfully forward! I need to work hard not let myself be so thoughtless with my words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to also be careful with my words! A lot of times just the tone of you voice can change what you said, we must use discretion not only in what we say but how we say it.

    ReplyDelete