Wednesday, January 22nd: Guest Writer, Mrs. Lois Ormsby



To the Glory of God with our Burdens

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

~ Matthew 11:28-30

I decided to take a break from the purity blogposts and write about our burdens today.

We have probably all heard a pastor or Sunday school teacher mention these verses at least once. The instructions seem pretty simple; Jesus says for us to come to Him, and He will give us rest. He even goes so far as to say that His burden is light! Hmm…

So what is the hard part of these verses for us? The other day in my own Bible reading, the LORD showed me the part that was hard for me to obey.

“…learn of me; for I am meek and lowly…”

Learning of Jesus is not natural to our flesh. Learning of Jesus takes daily, regular effort on our part – kind of like how keeping our school grades up takes regular effort :). I realized that if I want Jesus’ rest to be real in my life, then I had to do my part here – learn of Jesus. How do I do that? Consider what Jesus did when He was faced with burdens on this earth.

Learning of Jesus means learning to leave things in God’s hands. It means to trust His wisdom even when it makes absolutely no sense to us. Learning of Him means recognizing (through God’s Word) how He dealt with the sorrows of earthly life when He was here. It means to seek His face on a daily basis, begging for His direction in our daily decisions. Learning of Jesus is many, many things.

But you know, Jesus gives us two huge clues to start with right in these verses! He said, “…I am meek and lowly…”. Being meek and lowly, once again, is not natural for us. We like to be selfish, covetous, complaining, worrying, irritable, annoying, and boisterous because it just feels good! (Especially when we are having a really bad day.) Yet these are the two clues Jesus gives us for learning of Him – meek and lowly. That’s what we are to become. That’s what we are to be. That’s what we are to pattern our lives after.

Learning of Jesus is all about Him. Is being “all about Jesus” normal for you, or is it just something you think about when you’re listening to Sunday and Wednesday’s sermons? Being all about Jesus is key to learning how to lay our burdens down at His feet.


Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 22
Hebrews 6
 

3 comments:

  1. Every time I hear something like this I am equally amazed about how trusting in Jesus can allow us to relieve us of our burdens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. I have never really considered that part of the verse like that! Thank you Mrs. Lois this post was a true blessing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to learn to be all about Jesus, and I pray that He will help me to be meek and lowly!

    ReplyDelete