Tuesday, January 7th

Today's and tomorrow's devotions will cover the characteristics of the young lady mentioned in Proverbs, chapter 7.  So, before we go any further, go ahead and do your Proverbs reading for today.

If you read the whole description of this woman, I feel sure you would take offense if someone were to compare you with her.  I know I surely would!  It's certainly not my intent to compare any of my sweet Beautiful Girls to this woman, so please don't assume that.  But, we must, with the help of the Holy Spirit, honestly search our own hearts to see if any of her characteristics could just as well be ours.

1.)  The very first thing the Bible mentions concerns her choice of dress.  "Harlot" is the Bible word for prostitute.  The Scripture doesn't say she was a prostitute; God said that she dressed like one.  I don't know that there is a certain "uniform" that a prostitute wears, but whatever her choice in clothing, she dressed in such a way that advertised herself.  

2.)  She was loud and stubborn.  Neither of these qualities increases a woman's beauty.  Being loud---the center of attention or obnoxious---never makes a girl pretty.  Rather, just the opposite is true.  

3.)  This young woman might have been called a busybody.  Instead of caring for her home, she was out running the roads.  Busy...but not in a good way.

We will continue tomorrow with our study of this young woman in Proverbs 7.  Our goal for our own selves should be to have character traits that are as far as possible from the ones this young woman demonstrated.

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 7

I Timothy 5

3 comments:

  1. "search our own hearts to see if any of her characteristics could just as well be ours" - that is something the Lord showed me when I did a Proverbs course in high school. Though I could probably in no way be labeled "a strange woman", I did not want any of her characteristics lurking in my life. God lays out her characteristics for us in this chapter in black and white - thanks for the reminder, Mrs. Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reminder of everything a lady should NOT want to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that these are not the characteristics that anyone lady should have

    ReplyDelete