Tuesday, October 29th

In keeping with my commitment to continue our periodic study of modesty, the next few days' devotions will be taken from Michelle Brock's book, What is Modesty?  Discovering the Truth.
 
The question is posed, How can I Choose Beautiful Adornment?  In answering this question, we must first define adornment.  To adorn something means to add something to make the object more attractive.  So, a woman's adornment is whatever she adds to her natural beauty.  This would include make-up, clothing choices, hairstyles, and hygiene.  Knowing how to make the right choices is half the battle in choosing our adornment.  Today we'll cover Ms. Brock's first three answers to the question.
 
1.)  Consciously look for beauty in what you wear.  Yes, there will be differences in taste, but  it is wrong to look for ugly clothes (just because they are long or loose).  It is the desire to be pleasing to God that is significant here, not whether you have bad taste or not. 
 
2.)  Realize that beauty in what we wear is not forbidden.  It is not sinful to look for and wear beautiful clothing, because beauty is a reflection of God's character.
 
3.)  Take the time to find what colors and styles of clothing look good on you.  Practically speaking, not everybody looks good in the same color and in the same style.  You have to try things on and experiment to find what works best for you. 
 
The king's daughter is all glorious within
Psalm 45:13
 
Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 29
Romans 10

3 comments:

  1. A lady should be classy, but that does not mean we have to dress worldy. There are things to wear that are classy and modest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile: last week my sister bought this awesome sweater dress that looked PERFECT on her, and I thought, "wow, I want that dress too!' So I went to the store, ready to buy it, tried it on, and was horrified to see what was looking back at me in the mirror ---- I looked SOOOOO bad in the same dress my sister had worn! Our builds are different and thus, we cannot wear all the same styles. Even though the dress was modest and adorable, it did NOTHING for me except make me look like my mother never taught me anything!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think about what I heard a at a youth rally one time "modest is the hottest"!

    ReplyDelete