Saturday, September 21st

Peter, one of the Lord's closest disciples, no doubt loved the Lord with all his heart.  He was an up-front, straightforward kind of guy with a huge passion for His Savior.  He was the kind of man that spoke before taking the time to think.  He's always remembered for being the disciple that when push came to shove, he denied even knowing Jesus.  Sometimes I feel sorry for Peter!  It's true that when the Savior needed him most, Peter turned his back on him.  It's also true that Peter had so much faith that he once stepped out of a boat right into the churning sea with tumultuous waves crashing all around him.  Yes, when he took his eyes off Christ, he began to sink, but how many of us would have had the courage to even step out of the boat?   Peter wasn't this picture of a super-Christian that we sometimes get in our minds.  He was real in his faith and in his struggles.  But, the reason why Peter is the subject of today's devotion is because he didn't quit.  Even though he failed the Lord time and time again, he didn't quit on God.  I know he must have felt like giving up so many times, but he didn't.  Even though he failed the Lord, he continued to try.  It also encourages me to consider that in spite of his shortcomings, Jesus loved Peter unconditionally.  And, not only did Jesus love Peter in spite of himself, but He continued to use Peter for the glory of God.  Knowing that God still wants to use me, even when I fail Him constantly, makes me want to be better for the Lord.  Because I don't fear God ever turning His back on me, I'm strengthened even in my weakest point. 

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. I Corinthians 12:10
 



Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 21
Acts 1

2 comments:

  1. I have never thought about using Peter as an example of someone who never quit on God. But now that I think about it, it is true. I want to be like Peter and never quit on God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Peter is a great example. I pray that God will help give me the strength to not quit even when times get bad

    ReplyDelete