Tuesday, September 10th

I promised that we'd continue our modesty study occasionally in this blog, and today's devotion digs a little deeper into the subject. 

In review, we know that:

Modesty is an attitude of humility that seeks to please God rather than man or self.  It is characterized by restraint and self-control, and dignity in dress, speech, and actions.

Modesty is a product of pure thinking and is not determined by what you wear.  You don't become modest by putting on a "modest" dress.

Being appropriate requires discretion to evaluate what is modest in each situation.

Although it is not true that modesty equals clothing, it is true that what we wear and how we wear it can be modest or immodest. 

(What is Modesty: Discovering the Truth by Michelle Brock)

Today I want to talk about the motivation behind what we wear because truly that plays a big part of whether or not we are modest.  Your motivation is what drives you.  If I am motivated by a desire to please my friends (whether they are my hand-sewn, so unfashionable jumper friends or my spend-$100-for-brand-name-only-shoes friends), I have an immodest motive.  Why?  Because my driving force is to please my friends.  When other people's opinions control what choices we make, we have an idol.  For example, if we are willing to buy an outfit that makes us look washed-out or that doesn't flatter us simply because we want our friends' approval our motives aren't modest. 

You see, girls, modesty doesn't always have to do with wearing revealing clothing.  It has to do with our motivation.  Our driving force.

What's your motivation today? 

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 10
John 11

2 comments:

  1. This is very true. You can find girls that are covered from head to toe. But their personality is not modest. I'm praying that the Lord will mold me into a modest young lady. Today I read Today Luke 6/Proverbs 10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people assume that because someone dresses a certain way they are modest lady, but modesty is way more than appearance. It is attitude and the way you behave. I pray that God will help me to become a modest girl. Today I read john 11 and proverbs 10

    ReplyDelete