Sunday, September 1st

     A few mornings ago, when I got up, I really thought I could "smell" fall in the air.  The wind was blowing, and it had a gentle coolness about it.  It wasn't very long though until the sun had warmed things up quite a bit, and the fall that I thought I sensed was nowhere to be found.  It got me thinking though about this change in season.
     I absolutely love this time of year; it's my favorite of all the seasons.  But, when we think of the word "fall", it implies a dropping of something.  In fact, this season gets its name from the falling of the leaves that is normally associated with this time of year.  I thought about it in a different light, as well.  How can "fall" apply to us spiritually if it involves something that descends?
     For starters, perhaps this fall, what certainly ought to be diminishing is my pride.  Too many times, our egos are the complete opposite---instead of humbling ourselves, we are lifted up.  So, for sure, this fall, I'd like my pride to be decreased.
     Secondly, I'd like to do exactly as the timeless Christmas song says,
"Fall on your knees....oh hear the angel voices...."
We would all do well to spend more time in genuine worship of our loving, merciful Savior.  There is no way to stumble if you are on your knees.
     Lastly, when I think of fall, I want to be reminded to "fall" in-love with the Lord all over again.  Remember camp time, girls?  You were excited and eager to grow in grace; you made commitments to the Lord because of the zeal that the Holy Spirit had stirred up in us through the preaching.  We need to be careful to kindle that fire.  Just as a husband and wife ought to grow more and more in-love through the years, we ought to "fall" deeper and deeper in-love with a Savior Who truly loves us more than we can ever comprehend.
   As we begin this fall season, what needs to "fall" in your life?  Consider Luke 20:18.  In this passage, the Lord Jesus is referred to as the chief corner stone.  In other words, the Rock of our salvation.  The Anchor of our souls. 
 
Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.
 
        When we "fall" onto Jesus, our hearts will be broken---broken for our sin, broken for the lives of others, broken for the spiritual state of our country.  Let's covenant this season that this year we will "fall" for Jesus like never before.


Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 1
John 2

1 comment:

  1. This fall I am going to work on decreasing my pride, there's a lot I will be working on. I pray that God will help me to 'fall' in multiple ways.

    ReplyDelete