Monday, November 18th

30 Days of Praise

Everyone hates being embarrassed in front of people.  Sometimes, though, our embarrassment can help strengthen our character.  Today I'm thankful for times of embarrassment. 

How in the world can anyone be thankful for embarrassment??  It's definitely taken me a long time to get to the place that I can even remotely comprehend how God works through times of humiliation.  While I can honestly say it's never been pleasant, if I allow it, the Lord will teach me something about myself or about how to treat others.  There have been times when I was completely mortified in front of others, yet at the same time, experienced some of the most character-building lessons in my Christian walk.

I wanted to share some of those circumstances with you.

~Embarrassment over my children's actions:  I learned that children need to be allowed to be kids.  Just because they are "pastors' kids" doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes, disobey, or act out.  I learned by being embarrassed that they are just "normal" kids that need love, support, and guidance from mama.

~Embarrassment over a mistake: In singing song specials or in leadership roles, mistakes are inevitable.  Being embarrassed when singing in front of people has taught me that my singing is for God's glory anyway---not my own.   And making mistakes allows others to see my humanity.  Too many times we want to present a "picture perfect" portrait of ourselves instead of what we are---sinners saved by grace.

~Embarrassment over saying the wrong thing:   Often I have said the wrong thing because I've spoken in anger or without spending time in prayer.  After you have to apologize a few times to someone for being in the flesh and using words carelessly, that embarrassment will help you to remember to guard your tongue more carefully.

Even from these few examples, you can easily see that facing embarrassment has been instrumental in my life.  The Apostle Paul says this in 2 Corinthians 12:10,

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
 
Thank you, Lord, for those times in my life that I had to be embarrassed in order to learn the lesson I needed to learn. 
 
Embarrassment---something to be thankful for?  Yes, indeed.  When allowed to be used as a tool in the Master's Hand, embarrassment can be instrumental in helping shape us into the image of the Lord Jesus Christ.


Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 18
I Corinthians 13

3 comments:

  1. Goodness knows I get embarrassed very very often(Its kind of embarrassing how often) but I need to learn to not look at it so much as an accidental error rather and on purpose action from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I embarrass myself all the time, but it has helped me grow to become a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post makes me laugh inside - cuz I am pretty sure it can apply to every single person on the planet! :)

    ReplyDelete