Monday, November 4th

30 Days of Praise--Day 4

In the challenge to be thankful for one often-overlooked thing each day, today's blessing for me is that of my children.  I recognize that not a single one of the eight are perfect.  Each of them have flaws; each of them have fears and failures.  They've disappointed me, disheartened me, and probably quite a few times, disowned me.  I'm not a mom who sees her children through rose-colored glasses; I know they struggle.  But, oh what precious people they are to me!  They've caused me so much joy that I thought my heart would overflow; they've encouraged me to keep walking with Christ at times when I thought I couldn't; and with every beat of my heart, made me realize that this wonderful job of being mommy is the highest calling that anyone could ever attain.  I'm grateful today to be the mother of eight children who I believe genuinely want to do good. 

None of you girls are mommies yet, so this post isn't one that has likely peaked your interest much.  However, for you, let's flip the coin.  You're not a mom, but you are a daughter.  How thankful are you for your parents?  Just like I realize that my kids aren't superhuman, I hope that my children realize that I am also flesh and blood.  I make mistakes (every single day!), and I fail often.  I've disappointed them; I've wounded their tender spirits with careless words; I've expected more of them that I've expected of grown Christians who've walked with God many years; and, many times I've failed to be the consistent example of Christ-likeness that I've been called to be.  Your parents are the same.  They are hypocritical, judgmental, and harsh.  Yet...they are your parents.  Are you thankful for them?  Do they know you are thankful for them? 

And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.  Colossians 3:15
 


Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 4
Romans 16

4 comments:

  1. I am very thankful for my parents and outstanding family and church family I don't show it a lot but I am and I would love to an any way tell them that I am thankful but I am not good at expressing my self but I am working on that.

    Thank you mrs.Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest I don't make it known very often but I am so grateful for my parents. I am going to try to make more of an effort to express it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so good! I look back on my teen years and realize how little I truly thanked my parents for loving me, raising me, and providing for me. Thank You, Father, for parents, and thank you to my parents for allowing me to arrive in this world - so many babies are murdered in the womb, not given the chance to see the light of day. If nothing else, EVERY person alive today can thank their mother for not aborting them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thankful for the parents God has blessed me with! I really need to make more of an effort in showing my appreciation towards them!

    ReplyDelete