Wednesday, November 20th

30 Days of Praise

Being Mommy to 8 children, I've seen God's hand of protection mightily over the years, especially with the boys.  They've certainly tested gravity, tempted peril, and toyed with danger.  Someone once said to me, "Oh, their angels must be working overtime!" and I laughed it off, not realizing there was some spiritual truth to the statement.  I've never been a collector of the angelic forms we see in figurines, pictures, and what-knots for two reasons.  To be honest, the angels in the Bible are not described like the angels we see in our local Christian bookstore.  Secondly, we are forbidden to worship (honor or adore) anything except the Lord God.  We are not to make graven images or carvings (Leviticus 26:1).  As a new Christian, I mistakenly thought the term "guardian angel" to be misleading. "The Bible never mentions the term 'guardian angel', so it must be a false teaching" I thought to myself.  Then one day in my personal devotions,
the Lord showed me Matthew 18:10,
Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.
 
and Psalm 91:11
 
For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
 

 
So, even though the term "guardian angel", is not mentioned in Scripture, the concept is.  I know there have been times in my life and the lives of my children that God's protective hand has guarded us from danger.  Today I'm thankful for the angels God has allowed to surround and protect us.
 
Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 20
I Corinthians 15

2 comments:

  1. I am also very thankful for being watched and protected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More than once in my life I know God's angels have protected me or my family in a very real way. And this also makes me think of the verse in Hebrews that talks about "entertaining angels unawares" - it's a good reason to be kind to strangers, because we don't know if that stranger might just be a heavenly messenger!

    ReplyDelete