Friday, August 23rd

Have you ever heard something referred to as a classic?  Maybe you were speaking of music or even an old car.  But, a classic is something that I call time-honored.  It's just the opposite of faddish---something that will fade with time.  We've all heard Pastor Stockton talk about being in-style with his 'parachute pants' in high school.  That was the fad of the day then, and at that time, parachute pants were the die-for item on everybody's back-to-school list.  But, like all fads, within 6 months, nobody was wearing those loud, plastic-feeling things anymore and a  new fad had been implemented.  With fashion, there will always be the latest craze, but there is always the classic look, too.  Women are often referred to as classy ladies.  In much the same way, there are some faddish behaviors.  I remember when I was in high school that the in-crowd talked like valley girls.  My dad thought I'd lost my mind!  But, that rage soon died down, too.  There are some character traits though that are classic according to Scripture. 

"Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised." Proverbs 31:30
 
Being beautiful is not bad!  But, we must understand that our outward beauty will eventually fade.  With time, our skin will wrinkle and our bodies will not look the same.  This is a natural part of aging.  However, the inward beauty is classic; it will remain when the outward beauty has failed.  The inward is what only the Lord can do in you, dear girls. 
 
So, while everyone is racing to and fro trying to have the latest, craziest fad, remember, seek also the classic in your heart---the fear of the Lord.
 
Scripture Reading for the Day:
 
Proverbs 23
Luke 17

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the saying, Pretty is what Pretty does. I pray that the Lord will mold me into a classy young lady. Today I read Proverbs 23/ John 11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to be a classy lady, and I pray that God will help me to become one! I look at women all the time and I think about how classy they are, I want people to look at me and be able to say the same. Friday I read proverbs 23 and Luke 17

    ReplyDelete