Thursday, August 8th

It's probably no secret to any of you girls that I am a baseball fan.  I enjoy the sport but especially watching the St. Louis Cardinals.  Benji is the only other Stockton who likes the Cards, and when our team is winning, wow!  we can get excited.  I mean, really excited:-)  Benji has been known to run through the house screaming at 12 o'clock at night because of a hard-fought victory!  It's not wrong to like a sport or a particular team.  But, this week, I got excited about something else, and that is the topic of our devotion today.

The Bible gives no indication that Jesus ever went to a chariot race (yes, they had those in the Bible!).  He may have, but we aren't told about it.  There is no record of Jesus ever painting his face blue in support of his favorite contender in the javelin-throwing competition. Even though it's not mentioned in Scripture doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong; the Bible could not contain every step of Jesus or every word of Christ because the volume of books couldn't contain all that he said and did.  But, my point is this:  we are given a glimpse into what was most stirring to the Savior---the salvation of souls.

"I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth,"  Luke 15:7

When was the last time that you got excited about someone getting saved or someone getting their heart right with the Lord?  Vacation Bible School this week was phenomenal!  I have to admit that when little Samara looked up at me with the most innocent, sweetest, tear-filled eyes and said, "Mrs. Kim, I just need to get saved", the excitement that filled me was better than ANY sports game or music performance or contest.  Just knowing that Lock Haven Baptist Church has made a spiritual impact in the life of this child---that her whole eternal destination has been changed---it thrills me.  I am excited to say that I believe we had 4 more over the course of the week to accept Christ as Savior.  That, dear girls, is what excitement is all about.

What about you?  What excites you can be a very good indicator of where you are spiritually.  Think about it.

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 8
Luke  2

No comments:

Post a Comment