Wednesday, August 14th

Once a word has been allowed to escape, it cannot be recalled.
 
 
 
If I had a dollar for every time I've made a careless statement or spoke without any forethought of the effect of my words, I'd certainly be a rich woman.  There are women so notoriously talkative that it's been said they could get a street sign to talk back.  Girls, having an outgoing personality is not a bad thing; in fact, if used in the right way, an outgoing personality can go a long way in making people feel cared for and welcome.  However, if not carefully guarded, a young lady's tongue can quickly land her in a heap of hot water.  We must be careful not to speak too hastily, even when in a joking conversation.  Most of the time, when I have said something offensive, it is because I have been too hasty---not giving enough thought or prayer to what the Lord would have me say.  Consider I Peter 1:15,
 
 
"But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;"
 
 
Girls, that doesn't mean we can't joke and have a good time, but rather that we be careful that our speech honors God.  God is honored in fun--He really is---if it's the right kind of fun. 
 
 
Let me share a personal example.  I remember as a new Christian, Pastor Stockton and I hadn't been married very long at all.  I had confided in my pastor's wife about an argument that my husband and I had.  Later in the afternoon, I made a comment about someone 'living like the devil', and with a wink, she retorted something along the lines of "Some of us are just living WITH the devil."  I knew she was joking and didn't think a thing about it.  But, it bothered my dear Pastor's wife deeply.  She came to me the next day, broken and literally weeping, about the careless, joking comment she'd made about my husband.  I never forgot that lesson nor the obvious embarrassment her comment caused her.  Not me---I laughed about it.  But, her. 
 
 
Remember, dear girls, once you say something, it cannot be taken back, no matter how much you may want to.
 
 
Scripture Reading for the Day:
 
Proverbs 14
 
Luke 8



2 comments:

  1. I am a very sarcastic and joking person. I am always having to work on what I say even jokingly. Words can so easily be taken in the wrong way. Today I read Proverbs 14/ John 11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also need to work on watching what i say. Im bad about not thinking before I speak. Wednesday I read proverbs 14 and Luke 8

    ReplyDelete