Monday, August 19th

It's been said that the best things in life are free.  I've pondered this thought and come to the conclusion that I think I disagree.  The best things in life may not have a monetary value, but they are certainly not free.  Let me give you some examples:

1.)  Love---this is the one thing that many claim costs nothing at all.  But, is that true?  Think of the love your mother had for you in choosing to give you life.  Believe me, she certainly spent a great deal to deliver you into this world.  Granted, that cost may not have been in the form of dollars, but a huge expense to her physically and emotionally.  Yet, if you are reading this blog, she paid that cost for you and likely does not regret doing so.

2.) Home---when we speak of the home, I am not referring to the building you live in.  I'm talking about the family that resides there---the ones who give you that feeling of warmth and security.  Again, the payment for a "home" or rather a "home life" may not come with a visible price tag.  However, think of the sacrifice that it takes on everybody's part to have a peaceful, loving home.  Oh, sweet girls, it costs something!  If you've ever been into a home where there is no obvious signs of compassion, joy, or tenderness but rather hatefulness, selfishness, and chaos, then you have to understand that the loving home does not just get that way.  It is built by those willing to pay the price in obedience to God's direction for the home.

3.) Peace---this is my last but, by far, the greatest example.  Consider I Peter 1:18,

"Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;"
 
 
The Lord didn't pay a monetary sum for your peace and freedom, dear girls.  He paid more, so much more.  You see, He paid your ransom with His own life.  Everybody has read the story this week's news of the young lady kidnapped by her father's best friend.  Though she was not kidnapped for a ransom, you were being held ransom in your sins by Satan.  And, your Redeemer rescued you and paid the price for your freedom.
 
 
So, the next time someone says, the best things in life are free, remember this: the best things in life have a price.  In our Savior's case, it cost Him everything.
 
 
Scripture Reading for the Day:
 
Proverbs 19
 
Luke 13

4 comments:

  1. I think a lot of things are not free in life a lot of them you have to earn but it can be hard some times but other times I don't think that it is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is very true, a lot of things in life really aren't free. Important things really do have a price! Monday I read proverbs 19 and Luke 13

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never taken the time to look at it this way. But it is very true some of the things that we think cost nothing cost someone everything. I read Proverbs 19/ John 8

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of that saying applying to things without monetary value. It is certainly interesting that way. So true!
    I want to mention that yesterday the reading was Luke 12 and it really spoke to me. There were some verses about how there is no reason to be stressed or anxious because God desires good things for you and you can cast your burdens *clap clap* upon him. That makes me feel so comforted because I am stressed alot.

    ReplyDelete