Wednesday, August 21st

I am reading one of my newest books that I bought over the summer, What is Modesty: Discovering the Truth, and I'd like to share a thought that the author, Michelle Brock, expands:

"A person who finds his speech is beginning to be characterized by sarcasm and innuendo may determine that he needs to limit the television he watches."

I absolutely agree that the influences you allow to penetrate your thinking will impact your actions.  Hebrews 12:1 admonishes us to get rid of anything that hinders our relationship with the Lord.

"...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,"
 
 
 
The influence that has the most detrimental impact to your walk with Christ may not be television at all.  You may not have a problem watching shows that are ungodly in nature such as programs that promote sex before or outside of marriage, programs that almost encourage a rebellious attitude toward your parents, programs that ridicule a God-honoring lifestyle.  In fact, watching television may not be your forte' at all; but, perhaps your downfall is hanging out with a crowd that does the very things I just spoke about in the negative TV programming.  Our friends influence us, girls.  It's the honest truth.  And, though we should never shun anyone or act in a way that we feel we are better than another, we are definitely commanded to choose our closest confidants among those who have Christ-honoring motives.
 
One final thought from Proverbs 13:20,
 
 
"He that walketh with wise men shall be wise:"

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 21
Luke 15
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. This is very true. People we are around can definitely influence us to act a certain way. Wednesday I read proverbs 21 and Luke 15

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I get older I am beginning to realize that not all my friends are good for me. While I don't usually have a problem watching the wrong things on tv. I am very influencial. This year I want to better choose my friends. Today I read Proverbs 20/ John 9

    ReplyDelete