Thursday, August 1st

Contentment----hmmm....what is it really and do I have it? 

Merriam's online dictionary defines contentment as,

feeling or showing satisfaction with one's possessions, status, or situation

I suppose that we'd all probably say that we're pretty contented ladies.  But, are we?  Really?  I know as I probe my own intents, I'd have to be honest and say that there are areas where I'm definitely not content.  Maybe not having enough or the right kind of clothes or shoes may be your weakness; someone else's could be being satisfied with $10 a week allowance as opposed to a friend's---who incidentally gets $25 a week. 

The story is told of a couple who worked a long, long time to save enough money to pay cash for their dream home.  It had plenty of room for the kids, nice appliances, some updated fixtures, and even a big back yard.  They were so thrilled with their new home and excited to move in.  The week they moved in, they were invited to dinner at some old family friends' new home across town.  As they drove through the neighborhood, they noticed the guard standing at the gated subdivision and remarked that everything was all so fancy. The friends' home was exquisite--right down the crystal chandelier and the gold-trimmed faucets.  It looked like a palace.  Their ride home was very quiet.  Neither the husband nor the wife spoke anymore about their new home.  Both were lost in their own thoughts of the dump they now called their own.  What made the difference?  Before the trip to the friends, they were excited, contented, even thrilled with what God had given; after seeing what the friends had, they felt deprived, underprivileged, and ashamed.  What made the difference?  Certainly their circumstances had not changed.  But, instead of looking at what they had, they were busy seeing what they had not.  And, that, girls, is how we all are.  We do not become discontented until we compare what we have with what others have.  Instead of seeing the hand of God in giving us what we don't deserve, we become like pouting, spoiled children who aren't happy with the toy they got for Christmas.

The Bible tells us of contentment in I Timothy 6:6,

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. "

Being content is a daily fight; but, you'll find it a lot easier if you do not constantly compare your blessings with those of others.

Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 1
Mark 11






3 comments:

  1. I am guilty of not always being content with what God has blessed me with. I need to learn to be grateful for what I have and realize how truly blessed I am! Today I read proverbs 1 and mark 11

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with being content with what I have been blessed with. I automatically think of what I do not have instead of all the many things I do have. God has given me so much and I need to be more grateful and learn that I do not need to compare my belongings with others to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at my life I definitely see areas that I need to be more content with. I need to learn to look at what I do have instead of what I don't. Today I read Mark 11/ Proverbs 1

    ReplyDelete