Monday, August 5th

How do you begin your prayer time with the Lord?  Did you know that Scripture gives us direction in praying.  In Luke 11:2, the Lord tells us to begin with praise!

"And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name."

That word hallowed just means worthy of honor or respect, and certainly we would all agree that our Heavenly Father is worthy.  So, by definition, our prayer time should begin with our praise for the Lord.  

1.) Praise for your salvation; for the blood of Jesus that has made you a child of God.  Were it not for God's mercy, you'd be on your way to hell.
2.) Praise for your home; for your parents, your family. They may be a bunch of nuts, but at least you have a family to call your own.
3.) Praise for your health; the ability to think and move and breathe.  Hospitals are full of people fighting for the strength to do what we take for granted.
4.) Praise for your church; your pastor, the influential leaders in your life.  They are only human, but God has placed them in your life to help you.
5.) Praise for God's blessings; a car, an air-conditioned home.  We are so privileged to enjoy these luxuries in America.
6.) Praise for God's chastisement; discipline by your parents.  This is for your benefit and growth. 
7.) Praise that you are allowed to go to school.  That's right---I said allowed.  In parts of the Middle East, girls are often not afforded that privilege.


This is just a beginning list---there's so much more for which we need to be thankful.  But, in order to help your prayer life grow, we need to know the right order of prayer.  Always begin with praise; a thankful heart is a tender heart.

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 5
Mark 15

2 comments:

  1. So often I take things for granted and I don't thank God for all the wonderful things and people he has blessed me with. I never really realized how selfish I can be sometimes when I pray, I need to remember to thank God every day for all that he has given me, even the small things in life. Today I have read proverbs 5 and mark 15

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often I find myself beginning my prayer asking God to help me with my needs. This lesson was a good reminder of the fact that we do not need to forget to thank our Lord God for the gifts in our life. We wouldn't receive a gift from another person without showing gratitude. So why should we receive the many gifts of God without telling him how much we appreciate it? Today I read Mark 15/Proverbs 5

    ReplyDelete