Saturday, August 17th

"You will do automatically what you ought to do, if you are who you ought to be."

My pastor's wife, Mrs. Brenda Shebs, said this often when we were going through the Bible institute.  One of the preachers' wives questioned her about it one day, and she explained her thinking.  We can worry ourselves about future decisions, future reactions to problems, future ability to stand against persecution, but how you will behave during these future events is mostly influenced by how you are preparing now.  If you are reading your Bible faithfully, if you have an active prayer life, if you are genuinely trying to win souls, then your spiritual instinct will be in-tact when put under the gun.  None of you teen girls will remember the Columbine High School massacre that happened in 1999 in Colorado.  Two senior boys walked into the high-school with a vicious plan to destroy and kill.  One of the innocent  students was a young lady named Cassie Bernall, a 17-year-old who had been saved only 2 years.  When the shooters went on their shooting rampage, it is witnessed that one of them asked Cassie a simple question, "Do you believe in God?"  Cassie's reply, "Yes."  It is said that Cassie died instantly of the gunshot wound to the head that followed her answer.

Now, my point is this:  do you think Cassie had time to prepare her response?  She did not.  She automatically replied because Cassie had been making a spiritual preparation.  It is reported that Cassie was faithful to her youth group, her church, and her own walk with Christ.

She did was she ought to have done because she was busy preparing for who she ought to be.  Though it cost her everything, Cassie was faithful to the Lord.  Help us, Lord Jesus, to prepare now so that should the time come when our faith in Christ is ever put to the test, we will be just as faithful.





 
"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. " 
Matthew 16:24
 
Scripture Reading for the Day:
 
Proverbs 17
 
Luke 11
 
 


3 comments:

  1. I heard about that shotting, but I never heard about that girls story. It really is an amazing story, i like to think that if my faith is ever put to a test that I will remain faithful. Sunday I read proverbs 17 Luke 11

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops I mean Saturday, not sunday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know as of right now that I am not sure I would say yes when asked at gun point if I was a Christian. I would like to think I would say yes. But I am not sure. I am willing to prepare myself to be ready for that case if need be. Today I read proverbs 17/ John 6

    ReplyDelete