Thursday, August 15th

It's been said that who ceases to be a friend never was one.  What are your thoughts on that? 

Many times my little girls have come to me with wide eyes, brimming with big tears, and say something like, "So-and-so doesn't like me anymore, Mama.  She said she's not my friend anymore!" When we get older, we may not necessarily say those words, but often, we act the same way.  A true friend isn't one who shares your every thought, every dream, every conviction; likely, with any friendship, there will be differences of opinion.  There may be disagreements.  But, a true friend is not one who is willing to be good to you one day and turn her back on you the next.  Please don't misunderstand my thoughts today, girls.  I firmly believe that there may come a time in a friendship when the parties involved are simply not going in the same direction.  Spiritually speaking, you should never turn your back on your friend.  However,  you should never turn your back on your Savior---Bible-led convictions, Spirit-filled goals and desires---for a friendship that no longer has Christ as its center.

A true friend will point you toward Christ.  Proverbs 18:24 talks about friendship,

"...and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother."

Of course, Jesus is that Friend.  But, if you will allow Him, He will shape you into the mold of the kind of friend that will help you grow in your relationship with the Lord.


Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 15

Luke 9

2 comments:

  1. There are some people that I would like to be friends with, but I have realized that when I'm around that person I don't act the way I should. Some people tend to be a bad influence on me. Thursday I read proverbs 15 and Luke 9

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I grow older I am coming to realize that some people just aren't good for me to be around. No it doesn't mean I am not their friend it just means that I can't spend a lot of time with me. Either they change the way I act or they aren't wanting Christ to be the center of their life. I hope that all my friends could say that I am a good friend. Today I read Proverbs 15/ John 3

    ReplyDelete