Saturday, August 10th

Today while out visiting, I happened to be talking to a lady about her husband.  He had been hospitalized and wasn't at all kind to the nurses.  She shared with me though that there was one nurse who knew how to handle him.  I asked her, "Well, was she more stern than the other nurses or more softly-spoken?"  She told me that she was a people-person, meaning that she knew how to talk to people and calm them down.  Colossians 4:6 tells us that we are to...

"Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt..."

We ought to all desire for our talk to be this way.  I've said it before-- it's not what you say but how you say it--that speaks the loudest to people.  Today I was reminded that I want to be like that nurse.  I want people to say about me, "She knows how to calm the situation".  Don't you?  The Bible calls this a peacemaker, and I believe we've spoken before about it in our devotions. 

Before you close your eyes tonight, try this: practice speaking softly to someone.  Gentleness ought to come easy for us, but sadly, if we look around, it's obvious by the way some children are treated that gentleness is something that we desperately need the Lord to cultivate in us.  Try it and remember, girls, you catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar:-)

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 10
Luke 4

2 comments:

  1. I always say things in haste when I am angry an I wind up regretting it later. I need to ask the Lord to help me think before I speak. Today I read Proverbs 10/Luke 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to remember this. Sometimes I feel it is just easier to snap back with a comment, but I'd rather not be remembered for that.

    ReplyDelete