Sunday, August 25th

The Sunday evening services have been a blessing at Lock Haven as we've covered the life of Joseph and the picture of Christ in Joseph's example.  Last night, a statement Pastor Stockton made caught my attention.  He said, One of the ways to measure your spiritual maturity is this:  Ask yourself this question: does it bother me when my brother or sister in Christ is blessed?  Too many times, we are not genuinely excited when others are blessed.  Oh, we may smile and say, Praise the Lord, but inwardly, we question God and wonder why we aren't getting the same blessing.  This, dear girls, is called covetousness, and it is sin.  It comes down to basically nothing more than pride---thinking that we deserve the blessing more than the one receiving it does.  But, girls, God is no respecter of persons.  He doesn't choose to be extra good to, say Carrie, because she's His favorite.  Rather, He may choose to bless Carrie because she is in the place in her walk with Christ that she can handle the blessing.  But, when we secretly resent those that God chooses to bless, we are saying, God, that's not fair!  I wanted that!  I deserved that!  Sounds kind-of like a 2-year-old temper tantrum, doesn't it?  Don't be like that, girls; though you may not ever show it on the outside, your Heavenly Father sees the attitude of the heart.  And, just as a good parent shouldn't reward a fit, neither will our Heavenly Father.

Rejoice with them that do rejoice,
Romans 12:15
 
Scripture Reading for the Day:
 
Proverbs 25
Luke 19

4 comments:

  1. I need to pray to God and ask Him to help me not be jealous when others are blessed. Today I read Proverbs 25/ John 12

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And, just as a good parent shouldn't reward a fit, neither will our Heavenly Father." That really hit home for me. I want to be rewarded, of course, but more importantly I want to serve God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wrote that down in my notebook Sunday night. I know I shouldn't be jealous when others are blessed, I need to pray and ask God to help keep me from getting envious of others when good things happen to them. Sunday I read proverbs 25 and Luke 19

      Delete
  3. I think that hit me to that our Heavenly father doesn't like when we through temper tantrum in our hearts I want to not do that. I could say I don't think I do but I think everyone dose it even if they don't know it and looking inside now I see that I do sometimes do that I and I want to ask the lord to help me with that.

    ReplyDelete