Monday, July 29th

Cherish the friend who tells you a harsh truth, wanting ten times more to tell you a loving lie.  ~Robert Brault 
 
 
Do you consider yourself to be a good friend, a true friend---a life long friend?  We all have lots of friends but very few that will climb the mountain of success with you and also have the willingness to crawl through the valley of despair right beside you.
 
It's not ever easy to be that kind of friend because to be a true friend, you have to be willing to sometimes go against the grain and risk your friend being angry to tell her the truth.  The Bible tells us in Proverbs 27:6 that,
 
 
"Faithful are the wounds of a friend;"

I don't believe this verse is talking about a friend doing physical harm to anyone.  But sometimes we must say truthful things to our friends that are emotionally painful.  Nobody who truly loves someone wants to hurt their feelings.  But, if you are a true friend, you will be willing to be honest with your friend---ESPECIALLY in spiritual matters.  In fact, friends should encourage each other spiritually.  That's the purpose of friendship.  To be a spiritual friend, you must be spirit-filled and spirit-led.  That means when the Holy Ghost prompts you to say something like, "Hey, Jane (or Judy or Kelly or whatever her name is), I'm concerned about you.  I've noticed here lately that something seems to be troubling you spiritually.  What is it?  Can I pray for you?"  It may require an even more direct approach, "Cassie (or Debbie or Melanie or whatever her name is), that young man is trouble for you.  He's not walking with the Lord.  He will hurt you."  

Friendship, true friendship, is worth far more than gold.  To have that kind of life long friend, be that kind of life long friend.

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 29
Mark 8

2 comments:

  1. I think we all worry about hurting our friends feelings, but I still need to keep in mind that I need to be honest. Even the truth can hurt a little, although being honest can most likely save them from even more hurt in the future. I need to pray to God and ask him to teach me to be a better a friend and a better life long friend. Today I read mark 8 and proverbs 29

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always telling God I don't want to say that to her cause I don't want to hurt her feelings or I don't want her to think I am minding HER business. I realize that if my friend is going against the Bible and the Lord tells me to rebuke her then I should do it. I need to ask for God's guidance in this area of my life. Today I read Mark 8/ Proverbs 29.

    ReplyDelete