Thought for Saturday, July 6th

Yesterday's thought was about the blessing of laughter and how we, as Christians, ought to let our joy bubble over.  Today's thought will also cover laugher---the wrong kind.

If we are honest, nobody likes to be the brunt of cruel jokes; nobody likes to be made fun of.  "Wait, Mrs. Kim, I thought you said yesterday that we should laugh?"  I did, but with laughter at an appropriate time or an appropriate place.  Laughter is an emotion that God intends for us to use.  It's a manifestation of happiness.  However, laughing at the wrong thing or at the wrong time can produce horrible consequences such as hurt feelings, broken friendships, and isolation.  The Scripture tells us in Ecclesiastes 3:4 that there is,

"A time to weep, and a time to laugh..."


Discernment is what's needed to know the difference.  There are a few things though that you should NEVER laugh at:

1.) In mockery towards God (making fun of Christianity, someone taking God's name in vain, etc.) 
2.) At someone's misfortune (even if that person has been ugly towards you)
3.) At jokes that are vile or nasty
4.) When someone else is being made fun of

I've always said that if it's not fun FOR all, it's not fun AT all.  It's difficult sometimes, I know; but, littlemoments_mean_everything commented on this week's Tuesday post something that can be applied even in this situation.  How would  you feel if the shoe was on your foot?  If you would feel embarrassed or hurt at the laughter taking place, chances are that the person you are laughing at feels the same way. 

Finally, one particular quote that comes to mind is this,

You can measure a man's character by what it is that makes him laugh.


Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 6
Matthew 13

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I laugh when it is not an acceptable time, so this is something that I am definitely going to keep in mind when a situation comes up that I feel the need to laugh. I know that God would like me to be more considerate of people. Today I read Proverbs 6 and Matthew 13.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I don't laugh so much at the wrong time then at the wrong thing. I guess they are one in the same though. I have a problem with laughing at others who have hurt me in the past when they have a misfortune... I realize that Jesus is definitely not proud of me when I do this. Wow, I never realized how far away I am from a good walk with the Lord until recently. I have so much to work on. Today I read Matthew 13/Proverbs 6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was this devotion in response to my comment yesterday??? ;) Because I said I laugh at everything???? :) On a serious note though......this devotion definitely hits close to home. Like GatorPrincess15 said, "I have a problem with laughing at others who have hurt me in the past when they have a misfortune". I may not necessarily burst out into real laughter, but in my heart, I more often than not laugh and say to myself "SERVES THEM RIGHT. THEY GOT WHAT'S COMING TO THEM." I have to learn to have better compassion at other's misfortunes, even those that have wronged me.

    ReplyDelete