Thought for Tuesday, July 2nd

While it is true that we live in a culture where everyone seems to say exactly what they're thinking with little regard for the ones affected, it is definitely not how the Lord wants us to talk.  Gossip is malicious and deadly; it has the ability to destroy a friendship faster than any thing else.  And, yet, for something with so much volatile potential, most of us rush headlong into conversations about others in which we have no business partaking.  Consider Proverbs 10:18,

He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.

We understand in this verse that if you are lying about someone, it is really just a disguise for the hatred you are harboring.  "But, Mrs. Kim, I don't hate her.....I was just trying to let such and such know that she said such and such.....".  No, dear girls, it's gossip and it's wrong.  Notice also that the verse uses a very strong word for someone who slanders others---a FOOL. 

Sometime back, Pastor Stockton used this acronym for a 5-point test to decide whether to say or not to say what you're thinking.  I've found it helpful, and I believe if applied, will keep us from much grief.

T--Is what I'm about to say TRUE?

H--Is what I'm about to say HELPFUL?

I--Is what I'm about to say INSPIRING (in other words, will it encourage someone to be better)?

N--Is what I'm about to say NECESSARY?

K--Is what I'm about to say KIND?

So, THINK, girls, before you speak.


Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 2
Matthew 9

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's very easy to find yourself caught up in a gossip story without even meaning to be in it. This devotion is a great reminder to stay aware of things that are being talked about and people who are the topic of conversation. I try to always remember that if something people are saying about someone else WOULD HURT ME if the shoe was on my foot, it no doubt would be hurtful for them, even if there is a smigion of truth to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often I find myself caught up talking about others and not even realizing before it is to late. I really need to learn this lesson. I know that I don't like it when people talk about me so why should I talk about someone else? Today I read Matthew 9/Proverbs 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too fine myself in conversations that involve other people, and I need to work on it. It can be hard to avoid gossip, especially at school because everywhere you turn there is gossip. So I'm going to work hard this school year to avoid gossip. Today I read proverbs 2 and Matthew 9.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really rings true for me.. I am the kind of person that thought that I would repeat what I am saying about someone to that person's face so it wasn't really gossip. But, it is wrong. And it can hurt people and God doesn't want me to have that attitude. I read Proverbs 2 and Matthew 3 and 4.

    ReplyDelete