Tuesday, July 30th

No person was ever honored for what he received.  Honor has been the reward for what he gave.

We honor people all the time for all kinds of reasons--from achievements made to goals attained.  Honor is proper.  But, if you think about it, the above quote is true:  we don't honor people for what they have gotten.  We reward them with praise because of what they have given.  It's been said through the ages that some folks are givers, some are takers.  I believe we have to be both.  Acts 20:35 says,

"...It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Now, this verse does tell us that it is better to be a giver---but, remember there can be no givers unless there are also takers.  I find it so easy to be a giver; it doesn't require any surrendering of my pride.  But, when it comes to being the receiver of a gift or a compliment or an honor, it's a bit more difficult.  You see, that's where the grace of humbleness comes into play.  And, girls, we all need that grace!  For instance, someone might say, "Oh, is that a new dress?  I LOVE it!"  I would respond with something like, "Goodwill.  $3.69 half-off day,"  and that is definitely not a gracious response.  My reply should simply be, "Thank you.  I liked it, too," or something to that effect. 

Today, seek to give more than you take.  But, if you find yourself on the receiving end, do it with grace, humility, and above all else, thankfulness.

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 30
Mark 9

1 comment:

  1. This is a great reminder that we all need to remain humble. Sometimes we get so caught up in the compliment we forget to remain humble, I have that problem. Tuesday I read mark 9 and proverbs 30

    ReplyDelete