Thought for Thursday, July 11th

Prayer---what is it really?  We've all heard eloquent men deliver prayers so beautifully orated that it sounded like they were meant for poetry.  But, is that what Scriptural prayer is about?  The Bible commands us to pray.  The Lord Jesus prayed in John 17, and I'd encourage you to read how He talked to the Father.  It wasn't with great swelling words that nobody understood; rather, He spoke to His Father just as you would speak to your father---in a personal, intimate way.  That's all that prayer is---you coming before your Heavenly Father to share with Him your day, your burdens, your needs.  William Cowper once said,

"Satan trembles when he sees the weakest Christian on his knees." 

 
Why would Satan fear a Christian who is praying?  Simply because prayer unleashes the power of God in a  Christian's life.  James 4:2 tells us,

"ye have not, because ye ask not."

But, there is an order to how your prayer life should be conducted.  Let me illustrate with an example.  Johnny comes into his daddy's bedroom and says, "Let me have a dollar, Dad."  Hmmm.....will Johnny get the dollar?  That depends on who Johnny's daddy is:-) 
No, seriously.  What if Johnny changed his approach to, "Hello, Daddy, how was your day?  Yes, sir, mine was good.  I was able to play with Timmy, and we had a great day.  Say, Dad, my class is getting ice-cream tomorrow, and I'd like to get some, too.  May I have a dollar for ice-cream?"  Which approach do you see earning that dollar? 

Prayer is not just petitioning God for your needs; He already knows the things you need (Matthew 6:32).  It is talking to your Savior in an attitude of worship, thanksgiving, and humbleness.  And, it should be like talking to your best friend.

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 11
Matthew 18

4 comments:

  1. There are times when I feel like Im not praying correctly because I'm not using any kind of fancy words, but now I know that's alright as long as my heart is in it and I'm speaking to God with the right attitude. Today I read proverbs 11 and Matthew 18.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Kim has the best analogies ever. Read Proverbs 11 and Matthew 18.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayer has never been one of my strong points. I find myself forgetting to pray and not talking to the One who gave all He had for me. I know that for someone who cared enough to die for me I should atleast care enough to talk to Him. Yet another thing I need to work on. Today I read Matthew 18/ Proverbs 11.

    ReplyDelete