Thought for Friday, July 12th

In yesterday's devotion, we talked a little about presenting our needs to God in prayer.  For today, I'd like you to consider that word "need".

Many times I've said, "Oh, I need a new pair of flip-flops...I need a new stove....I need a new purse..."  But, girls, I am using the word "need" incorrectly.  Merriam-Webster lists one of the definitions for the word need as a "requirement for the well-being of an organism".  Hmm...I'm not sure my well-being will be affected if I don't get those new flip-flops, so my desire for the new flip-flops is not a need but a want.  We use the word "need" loosely.  However, our physical needs can be broken down into a basic 4 categories:

1.) Food
2.) Clean Water
3.) Shelter
4.) Clothes

  In Philippians 4:19, the Lord promises that He will meet the needs of His children who are doing as they are supposed to be doing.

"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

All of us today have had our needs met, and probably, most of our wants, too.  It helps me to keep focused on just how blessed I am when I remember what I heard one lady say yesterday in her devotion about her desire for a new purse.  "It's just the icing on the cake...no, better yet, it's the sprinkles on top of the icing!"

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 12
Matthew 19
 

2 comments:

  1. There has been so many times where I say I need that. But as I think about it I ask myself is it a real need or a want. I would say 90% of the time it is more of a want than a need.
    Read Proverb 12 & Mathew 19

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lesson was a great reminder of the difference between want and need. Although they are completely different sometimes I get them confused. Today I read Matthew 19/ Proverbs 12.

    ReplyDelete