Thought for Monday, July 15th

While it is true that we shouldn't be bothered by what people think of us, as Christians, we are to be concerned with how others see us.   I know what you're thinking, "We're not supposed to care, but wait, we are supposed to care....".   I guess it seems like a double-edged sword!  The reality is that we are supposed to care AS IT AFFECTS OUR CHRISTIAN TESTIMONY; we are NOT supposed to care when it brings us ridicule simply for following Christ.  The Bible tells us in Proverbs 22:1 that,

"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold." 

Your testimony (reputation) is of great concern to the Lord for it is how others ultimately view God.  You see, we represent the Lord.  A young lady who's never been saved---never read the Bible---doesn't know much about God.  What she knows about Him, she sees in His children. 

And, yet, there must come a point in your walk with Christ that you stop tormenting yourself when others make fun of you for your stand for the Lord.  Jesus Himself said this to us in John 15:20,

"The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you"

The summary of the matter is this:  You must care if your testimony or your actions are causing shame to the name of Christ; you must not care when people are talking and provoking just because you are living in a Christ-like way.  Perhaps we can remember it like this:  If it brings me reproach, no worries.  If it brings Christ reproach, I've got to do some things differently.

Scripture Reading for the Day:
Proverbs 15
Matthew 22

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I get embarrassed when people make fun of me for being a Christian. I know now that they made fun of Jesus in such a way that I will never know. So if they made fun of him then they are going to definitely make fun of me for living for him. I need to work on standing for Christ no matter who is watching. Today I read Matthew 22/Proverbs 15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to work on not caring about people ridiculing me for being a Christian. Most of the times I get embarrassed when I'm talking with school friends and they tease me a little bit about my parents being strict, being involved in church, or not involving myself in certain things. I need to remind myself that it is an extremely small price to pay for everything God has done for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do need to worry less about what people think of me, because it's Gods opinion that matters the most. Good point Carrie Nelson, I it is a very small price for us to pay for everything God had done. Today I read Matthew 22 and proverbs 15

    ReplyDelete