Thought for Monday, July 1st

Have you ever heard someone say, "I'll forgive....but I'll NEVER forget and I'll get even!"  Or perhaps you've heard it the other way around, "Forgiveness means that you never, ever remember the wrongdoing again.".  I've heard both statements, but to be honest, neither is right.  Ultimately, forgiveness is just simply giving up your right to punish another.  That doesn't mean that you won't ever again grieve or hurt over what someone did that hurt you.  Some wounds and hurts are emotional and extend far deeper into our hearts than a physical slap in the face.  This type of pain takes longer to heal and quite honestly, is healed only by the balm of the Lord Jesus, our Great Physician.  But to make a statement that you will NEVER forget and that you plan to get even is an indication that you plan to hold onto your hurt; that you do not intend to let the Lord heal you and that you intend to intentionally lash out and hurt in response.   Until you let go, the Lord cannot heal the hurt and you will continue to carry the weight and bitterness of unforgiving spirit.  And, girls, it's just not worth it.  Forgiveness is a gift---not to the person who has wronged you but to your own self.

Is there someone in your life that you need to forgive?

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 1
Matthew 8

3 comments:

  1. Wow...I really needed this..forgiveness is not my strong suit
    I read proverbs 1 and Matthew 1 and 2 (Im a tad behind so I will read two a day until I catch up)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with not forgiving people. Also with letting go. It's not that I would like to return hurt to other people it's the fact that my feelings are just hurt and I want an apology.. Yea guess I got some work to do in this area of my life. I read Proverbs 1/Matthew 8.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My issue is saying the words "I forgive you", but deep down, I never truly let go of the hurt or pain that someone caused me. So in reality.....I didn't really forgive. True forgiveness is letting go completely and placing it in the Lord's hands to handle.

    ReplyDelete