Thought for Thursday, July 4th

It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you. 
Liberty.  Have you ever considered its meaning?  It is defined as the quality or state of being free.  And, surely as American young ladies, we are free.  I dare say our citizens have been granted more freedom than any other country in this world.  And, though the word means freedom, there are other descriptions.

a : the power to do as one pleases

b : freedom from physical restraint
c : freedom from arbitrary or despotic control
d : the positive enjoyment of various social, political, or economic rights and privileges
e : the power of choice

To be quite honest, as I was glancing over this list, one thought became increasingly obvious...we enjoy ALL of these freedoms simply because we are Americans.  Too often I take for granted the sacrifices that others have made for me to be able to go to church; for me to be able to read my Bible and witness openly; for me to even wear a Christian T-shirt in public.  Never forget that the ground of freedom has been watered with the blood of courageous men and women who understood that freedom isn't free.


And, then, I think of another kind of liberty.  Spiritually-speaking, the definition is much the same: freedom.  As blood-bought, born-again Christians, we have freedom in Christ.  We are no longer in bondage to sin.  Our sin debt is paid full and free when we trust Christ as our Savior.  But, just as freedom hasn't been free for Americans, it isn't free in Christianity.  While it is true that it costs you nothing, it cost Christ EVERYTHING!  For a Savior Who died for me, is it too much that I live for Him?


For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another,  Galatians 5:13

As you spend today thanking God for our free country, thank Him also for the freedom He's given us in Christ to serve one another.

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 4
Matthew 11


4 comments:

  1. I am so thankful to live in America. And so blessed to have a God that gave his son to save me.
    I read Proverbs 3 and Matthew 7 and 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of times I don't realize how truly blessed I am to live in America, but I am very thankful. Today I read Proverbs 4 and Matthew 11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too often I think we forget the price our soldiers have paid for us to live with the freedoms we enjoy. This devotion was a great reminder to remember the price that has been paid for both our physical freedom and our spiritual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This was a great reminder that Freedom is not free. A great price was paid by men/women an by Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete