Thought for Wednesday, July 3rd

Jumping to conclusions is not half as good an exercise as digging for facts.

Has someone ever tried to explain something to you---perhaps a situation that happened---and before she even told half of the story, you had already decided how it happened...who was involved...how to handle it?  The Bible tells us to be careful of this very thing in Proverbs 18:13:

He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.

That word "folly" just means silliness or foolishness.  So, in other words, it's silly to try and make a decision before we know all the facts.  I have to be honest, I am guilty of this very thing.  And, normally it is because I am basing my decision on what I presume about the rest of the story.  More times than not though, the rest of the story is not what I was assuming it would be, and I end up needing to apologize to someone for making a presumptuous conclusion.  Secondly, always remember, girls, that there are two sides to every story.  

As ladies, it's our nature to jump to conclusions, but we need to walk according to the Spirit.  We need, more than ever, the discernment of the Lord and most of all, a willingness to listen more than a willingness to reach a verdict. 

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 3
Matthew 10

4 comments:

  1. Well I have to admit I have been guilty of this more than once. Sometimes It's because the person I am jumping to conclusions about has wronged me already before. So when I see a chance to get them back I jump at it. I realize that God does not want me to be like that.... Yet another thing I need to work on in my spiritual walk with God. Today I read Matthew 10/ Proverbs 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to jump to conclusions about people which is a problem I know God wants me to work on. I really need to learn to give people the benefit of the doubt because I would hate for someone to judge me when they don't even know what really happened. Today I read Matthew 10 and Proverbs 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I read Proverbs 3 and Matthew 5 and 6.
    I really enjoyed today's reading. It all was useful in my life (Matthew 5:39 anybody???) lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an area I need to work on. It's easy to jump to conclusions by having only a little information. I don't necessarily get angry but my thought pattern turns negative towards the situation before I even know what's really going on. Taking things slowly and processing everything before I react is a good lesson to learn.

    ReplyDelete