Thought for Tuesday, July 9th

"Aww, I know how you Baptists believe...once saved, always saved!"  Has anyone ever said that to you?  The doctrinal term for this is eternal security, and yes, it is fundamental to the Baptist faith because it is Scriptural.  After today's devotion, you might feel like you've been in a vocabulary class, but I promise, it'll help you.

The word security in our minds might mean comfort or stability.  When we see a toddler carrying around a little blanket or a stuffed animal, we say that's his security blanket.  As a born-again young lady, you have that same security that your Heavenly Father loves you, will provide for you, and will never leave you.  Your security is in the form of the Holy Spirit of God which was given to you the moment you trusted Christ as your Savior. 

Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. 2 Corinthians 1:22

The word I'd like you to notice in the above passage is the word earnest.  Earnest can mean diligent or serious; but, in this passage the word earnest takes on an entirely new meaning because it is defined as

a pledge, that is, part of the purchase money or property given in advance as security for the rest:

To better explain earnest, I'll share a story.  There once was a man who was interested in a particular car.  He stopped at the dealer, drove the car, and loved it.  He decided instantaneously that he must have that car.  But, he didn't have all the money the dealer was asking.  He had it at home but not with him.  After talking with the dealer, it was decided that he would put down some "earnest" money for the dealer to keep the car until he could come back the next day with the balance.  It was, if you will, a down payment.   The more he thought about it though, the more he decided he really didn't want that car afterall, so he never returned.  What happened to the earnest money or the down payment?  The dealer got to keep it.

So, the application of the word earnest as it is being used in 2 Corinthians 1:22 is that when we repent and ask Christ to save us, we are given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts; in other words, the down payment of the Holy Ghost of God to live in our hearts until such time that the Lord calls us home to Heaven.  This is an impossibility, girls, but just for example's sake, let's say that the Lord decides that He made a mistake and He's not going to save us like He promised (as in our example when the gentleman decided he didn't want the car)?  Just like that dealer got to keep the earnest money, you get to keep the earnest of the Spirit in your heart.  Your salvation is a gift.  You can not work hard enough to get it, and you can not work hard enough to keep it.  You are secure, dear girl, based upon what Christ did---not what we've done.

Scripture Reading for the Day:

Proverbs 9
Matthew 16

3 comments:

  1. I found this very helpful because there are times when I don't always feel secure in my salvation, but this has helped. I know that my salvation can never be taken away from me and I am so thankful for what Christ has done to make sure I am secure. Today I read Matthew 16 and proverbs 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been saved for about four years now and I still have doubts about my salvation. This lesson reminded me of the fact that I am not saved because of what I did for Jesus but what He did for me. I know that I was sincere when I asked Jesus to forgive me of my sins and come into my heart. Thanks to this lesson I was reminded that Jesus did come into my heart and He is not just gonna leave. He came to stay. I guess I am just going to have to go by the saying " He said it so I believe it." Today I read proverbs9/Matthew 16.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now ask the girl's if they have done their bible study for the day. Instead of the radio taking kayla to work she reads the scripture for the day. What a blessing. Read Proverb 9 & Mathew 16. I did not have time to comment yesterday.

    ReplyDelete